Since the past few weeks about 150 of members of the ruling Saudi royal family out of the estimated 15,000 members have been infected with coronavirus including Saudi Prince Faisal bin Bandar bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, the governor of the capital Riyadh who is currently in intensive care after being tested positive of the virus.
King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman (MBS) are placed into isolation to avoid the outbreak.
Officials of the prestigious hospital where the royals are being treated are preparing to accommodate some 500 more beds for anticipated future patients.
- Coronavirus in Europe: Hospitals will soon run out of intensive care drugs
- (Photos) India’s COVID-19 lockdown: How are those living below the poverty line doing?
- Coronavirus: The Italians struggling to put food on the table
“Directives are to be ready for VIPs from around the country,” the operators of the elite facility, the King Faisal Specialist Hospital, wrote in a “high alert” sent out electronically on Tuesday to senior doctors.
“We don’t know how many cases we will get but high alert,” said the message, which instructed “all chronic patients to be moved out ASAP” and only “top urgent cases” will be accepted, as reported by New York Times.
So far, the kingdom that constitutes of about 33 million people has reported 2,932 cases and 41 deaths.
On Tuesday Saudi health minister warned that the worst is yet to come. “Within the next few weeks, studies predict the number of infections will range from a minimum of 10,000 to a maximum of 200,000,” Tawfiq al-Rabiah said, according to the official Saudi Press Agency.