According to the British tabloids, Prince Charles, the Prince of Wales also next in line to the British throne, has tested positive for the coronavirus.
The 71 years old prince is displaying mild symptoms “but otherwise remains in good health”, a spokesman said. For her side, the Duchess of Cornwall, 72, wife of Charles, has been tested negative for the virus.
Charles and Camilla are now self-isolating at Balmoral. “In accordance with government and medical advice, the prince and the duchess are now self-isolating at home in Scotland,” read a statement.
“The tests were carried out by the NHS in Aberdeenshire where they met the criteria required for testing.
“It is not possible to ascertain from whom the prince caught the virus owing to the high number of engagements he carried out in his public role during recent weeks.”
The duke and duchess arrived in Scotland on Sunday. Afterward, the father of Prince William had been displaying mild symptoms over the weekend and was tested by the NHS in Aberdeenshire on the following day.
The results came through on Tuesday night, revealing that he was positive.
“Her Majesty, The Queen remains in good health,” Buckingham Palace said. “The Queen last saw The Prince of Wales briefly after the investiture on the morning of 12th March and is following all the appropriate advice with regard to her welfare.”