Who does not know about the famous painting Mona Lisa which is a chef-d’oeuvre of the very well known, Leonardo Da Vinci? Mona Lisa was actually the spouse of Francesco del Giocondo. She was known as La Gioconda and her picture was painted as oil on wood. The size of the original picture was 77 x 53 cm. Today this masterpiece is owned by the government of France and it situated on the wall in Paris’ le Louvre.
What’s special about Mona Lisa painting?
The picture in itself is extremely magnificent. The woman is dressed in the Florentine fashion which was in vogue at that time. The artist had displayed excellent use of soft and heavily shaded modeling. The woman’s puzzling expression, which clearly appears attractive and remote, has made the sketch worldwide celebrity.
In short, her smile looks like it needs to be deciphered. Some people have opined that this picture is actually a visual representation of the idea of happiness, hence which the Italian word ‘gioconda’ suggests.
The nature of the landscape too cannot be left undescribed. Warm colours have been applied in the middle space of the picture, hence signifying that this is a dwelling place for men. There is a zigzagging road and a bridge.
This space is very remarkable as it represents the transition between the space of the woman and the far distance, where the landscape becomes a rough and uninhabited space of rocks and water which stretches to the horizon, which the artist has wonderfully drawn at the level of the woman’s eyes.
- A Van Gogh painting stolen from a museum in the Dutch town of Laren
- Jack, the Ripper: This name continues to survive today and instantly provokes vivid images of pitiless crimes, foggy alleyways, and darkness in the mind
It has been said that the painter has made use of aerial perspective in this task. In general, it can be said that this painting shows an overall feeling of being calm. In other words, the painter unveils his style. This is what makes the Mona Lisa painting a depiction of a traditional woman for it represents an ideal rather than a real woman. Moreover, it can be said that there is a connection between humanity and nature in the picture.
However, there are some mysteries associated to this painting. Indeed, the Mona Lisa is not only famous for its perfection, but also for the secrets that it holds.
Here are the most talked mysteries of the Mona Lisa.
- One of the most debatable mysteries of the painting is why Mona Lisa features very faint eyebrows and does not have any eyelashes. Some claim that having no eyebrows is representative of the high-class fashion of the time.
- The bewitching smile which makes the painting look so alive and mysterious. when we look at her eyes, her smile seems broader. But the smile diminishes when we look straight at it.
- There are hidden initials in the painting. On Mona Lisa’s eyes, the initials L and V (Leonardo da Vinci’s initials) were seen the right eye under the microscope, and letter that was barely recognizable in the left.
- According to some historians, Mona Lisa is a Self-Portrait of Leonardo da Vinci.
- The Unknown Bridge, a three-arched bridge in the background raises the question about the exact location of the mysterious landscape.
- Her unsettling gaze is also one of the greatest mysteries of the portrait. No matter where you move, she continues to meet you eye to eye.