Home Curious Corner UK plans third dose of vaccine to fight new variants

UK plans third dose of vaccine to fight new variants

0
© Reuters

The United Kingdom is working to offer a third dose of the covid-19 vaccine; which boosts immunity in the event of new variants of the coronavirus, said the secretary of state for vaccination, quoted by EFE.

According to the agency EFE; the United Kingdom is working on a plan so that it can start offering the booster dose in September; if the new variants of SARS-CoV-2 have spread.

In an interview published today in the newspaper “The Telegraph”, the secretary of state for vaccination, Nadhim Zahawi; explained that those over 70 and health professionals who are on the front line will have priority for this additional inoculation.

“The most likely date is September,” said Zahawi; who is responsible for overseeing a vaccination program that has administered at least a first dose of the vaccine to more than 29 million people.

In the UK; vaccines from AstraZeneca and Pfizer have been used so far, but the secretary of state says he expects to have up to eight products approved for the fall.

The British Government has been in contact with these two pharmaceutical companies, in addition to Modern; whose vaccine should be available next month, about the distribution of a third booster dose.

“Regardless of the behavior of the virus, we will be prepared,” said Zahawi.

England will begin on Monday a slow easing of restrictions that the Government enacted in early January to contain a wave of infections; the maximum peak of which caused more than 1,800 daily deaths.

Past 7 days

In the past seven days; the average number of deaths from coronavirus was 70 and the number of hospitalized patients dropped to less than 5,000; far from the nearly 40,000 registered in January.

Starting this week, social gatherings will be allowed in the open air for up to six people, belonging to two houses, and the outdoor sports facilities will be reopened.

However, non-essential trade will remain closed, opening on April 12, the date when bars and restaurants can serve on terraces.

National or international travel for leisure purposes remains prohibited.

The Government said that it will allow stores to open until ten at night; when they can resume their activities, three hours more than the closing time before the pandemic.

The covid-19 pandemic caused at least 2,756,395 deaths worldwide, resulting from more than 125.4 million cases of infection; according to a report made by the French agency AFP.

The disease is transmitted by a new coronavirus detected in late 2019 in Wuhan, a city in central China.

Source: noticiasaominuto.com

NO COMMENTS

Exit mobile version