According to US tabloids, US’s Food and Drug Administration (FDA) gave its approval on emergency use of the Ebola drug remdesivir for treating the coronavirus.
Thus, people who are hospitalised with severe Covid-19 will be administered with anti-viral drug produced by Gilead pharmaceutical company in.
A recent clinical trial showed positive results. The reports showed that the drug helped shorten the recovery time for people who were seriously ill but no improvement concerning the survival rates have been noticed.
- Study reveals a higher death rate in patients treated with hydroxychloroquine for Covid-19
- Iranian Instagram star Sahar Tabar alias the ‘zombie Angelia Jolie’ tested positive for the coronavirus
The drug interferes with the virus’s genome, disrupting its ability to replicate, however, experts warned that this drug should not be seen as a “magic bullet” for coronavirus.
During a meeting with US President Donald Trump, Gilead Chief Executive Daniel O’Day said the FDA authorization was an important first step. According to him, the company would contribute 1.5 million vials of the drug.
“It’s the first authorized therapy for Covid-19, so we’re really proud to be part of it.” Explained FDA Commissioner Stephen Hahn.
Note that Emergency FDA authorization is not the same as formal approval.
- A new earth crack developed in the Icelandic volcanic areaIn the volcanic area of Iceland, lava is now flowing out of the earth at another point. Another eruption gap formed between the original eruption site and two other […]
- Almost 116,000 new corona infections in India in one dayIndia has reached a new high in new infections with the coronavirus. The Indian Ministry of Health announced on Wednesday of a record of 115,736 new infections within one […]
- Gives birth at 57 after losing her 13-year-old daughter to cancer: the story of Barbara HigginsThe story of Barbara Higgins has been around the world. The New Hampshire woman gave birth to her third child Jack at the age of 57 thanks to assisted reproduction techniques. The news went viral reported by the Washington Post . With […]
- UK plans third dose of vaccine to fight new variantsThe United Kingdom is working to offer a third dose of the covid-19 vaccine; which boosts immunity in the event of new variants of the coronavirus, said the […]
- EU outlines measures to strengthen cybersecurityWork on the so-called green certificates for coronavirus vaccination; “should be completed by June 1st”. This was stated on Tuesday by the Minister for European Affairs at the German […]