According to US tabloids, US’s Food and Drug Administration (FDA) gave its approval on emergency use of the Ebola drug remdesivir for treating the coronavirus.
Thus, people who are hospitalised with severe Covid-19 will be administered with anti-viral drug produced by Gilead pharmaceutical company in.
A recent clinical trial showed positive results. The reports showed that the drug helped shorten the recovery time for people who were seriously ill but no improvement concerning the survival rates have been noticed.
- Study reveals a higher death rate in patients treated with hydroxychloroquine for Covid-19
- Iranian Instagram star Sahar Tabar alias the ‘zombie Angelia Jolie’ tested positive for the coronavirus
The drug interferes with the virus’s genome, disrupting its ability to replicate, however, experts warned that this drug should not be seen as a “magic bullet” for coronavirus.
During a meeting with US President Donald Trump, Gilead Chief Executive Daniel O’Day said the FDA authorization was an important first step. According to him, the company would contribute 1.5 million vials of the drug.
“It’s the first authorized therapy for Covid-19, so we’re really proud to be part of it.” Explained FDA Commissioner Stephen Hahn.
Note that Emergency FDA authorization is not the same as formal approval.
- Cat owners: Science discovers five types of cat ownersCat owners, for more than 10,000 years, cats have learned to live with humans, but today the question arises if it was the other way around and we […]
- Simba, the first lion cub conceived by artificial insemination in SingaporeThe authorities of the Singapore zoological organization Wildlife Reserves named a lion cub “Simba”, which means lion in the Swahili language. However, there is something very peculiar about […]
- Praying Mantis: They discover the trick of male mantis to avoid decapitation after sexWe knew that the Praying Mantis could be terrifying; and that the male’s own head is part of the female’s diet (although it was capable of mating without […]
- They find the reason why it is easier to understand a language than to speak itThe research focuses on the study of laterization changes The research focuses on the study of the laterization changes of brain functions during the performance of different linguistic […]
- The last white giraffe in the world will be monitored by GPS to protect it from huntersThe male giraffe lives alone after poachers killed the only surviving female giraffe and her calf The only known white giraffe in the world will be controlled by […]